School councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. Participating as a school council member is a rewarding and challenging experience. The school council supports the principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
School councils have three main responsibilities:
- Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school’s financial operation
- Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan
- Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan
Other key functions of school councils include:
- raising funds for school-related purposes
- maintaining school grounds and facilities
- entering into contracts
- reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- representing and taking the views of the community into account
- regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- operating a children’s service at the school.
2019 School Council Members
Darlene Cameron, Clete Smith, Alice Jury, Kerryn Weightman
Sophie Akers (President), Fiona Gregor (Vice President) Michele Jacobs (Treasurer), Mandy Seamons, Ryan Fullerton, Liam Mudge, Simon McCart.
Anthony Mishura, Tamara Downey