School councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. Participating as a school council member is a rewarding and challenging experience. The school council supports the principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
School councils have three main responsibilities:
- Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school’s financial operation
- Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan
- Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan
Other key functions of school councils include:
- raising funds for school-related purposes
- maintaining school grounds and facilities
- entering into contracts
- reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- representing and taking the views of the community into account
- regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- operating a children’s service at the school.
2021 School Council Members
Parent Representatives: Sophie Akers (President), Michelle Jacobs (Vice President), Liam Mudge, Cate Birkett, Alisa Walker, Linda Borner, Amy Wood, Carmen Moors.
DET Representatives: Sue Knight, Clete Smith, Alice Jury, Kelsie Stewart.