Our Chaplain Margaret Benoit works at Canadian Lead PS on Monday and Tuesday, supporting students, staff and families. Margaret works under the National School’s Chaplaincy Program. Margaret is able to offer support to children who may be struggling with a range of issues such as grief and loss, loneliness, social challenges, school problems and home problems. Sometimes students simply need a friendly listening ear. If a student needs additional support, then options for referral will then be discussed with caregivers. Group programs can also be provided to address specific issues that a range of children may be struggling with.
What does a Chaplain do?
The key tasks of our Chaplain include:
· Working as part of the school wellbeing team to plan for and deliver student resilience, wellbeing and support services and programs.
· Participating in school activities.
· Providing support to staff during the school day as required in terms of our sensory room and behaviour management.
· Mentoring/coaching/counselling support for students.
· Providing students, their families and staff with support in difficult situations such as during times of grief or when students are facing personal or emotional challenges. This may include referrals to outside agencies.
· Providing support and referrals during critical events.